Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Grandfather Falls Penstocks (Before & After)

I've always found the penstocks at Grandfather Falls fascinating.

These penstocks are used to feed the hydro electric generation plant.

They were replaced in 2017. I realize they are more efficient now, but they no longer have that charm.  Not sure what it is about the water spraying/leaking out of the old construction that was magical, but it was.

The interesting thing is that in this case modernization makes it so that I really do not ever need to see this again.  It's now just a boring beige pipe.

I tried to capture the before and after from the same orientation.

Before: 20150804 (Wooden Construction)



After: 20190724 (Modern Construction)


I will add some more photos and possibly video of from the era of wooden penstocks.  I really didn't capture anything more of the sterile metal replacements.

Video of the old wooden style, with the alarms being tested:


Links:
Grandfather Falls Hydro Plant Penstock Replacement - Garney Construction
WPS to begin efficiency upgrades at Grandfather Falls dam - Merill Foto News

No comments:

Post a Comment